Hazel Heal is Hep C Action’s lead. She lived with hepatitis C for over 30 years. In 2015, Hazel faced a six figure medical bill to fund her urgent treatment. While considering her options she learned of the generic medication buyers’ club FixHepC and FixRx, joined, received her treatment and was cured. Her experience sparked a civic duty to let others know of their legal and medical options, through media and lobbying, She graduated with a Law degree from Otago University in 2018. Hazel is the COO of FixSIBO.
Hazel’s role is increasingly being recognized:
- New Zealand Women of Influence Finalist 2018
- Membership of the South Island District Health Board steering group for Hepatitis C
- Hep C Awareness and Treatment Advocate for the US-based Families for Sensible Drug Policy
- Featured in the World Hepatitis Alliance’s international documentary
- Presenter at the Global Hepatitis Summit in Toronto Canada in June 2018.
- Presenter at the Hepatitis Summit in Auckland, July 2018.
- Featured in Hep Voice by WHA
- Member of the Ministry of Health’s National Action Plan to eliminate HCV committee.
Through her drive, skills and informed by her own experiences – Hazel has advised and supported many people from Aotearoa and around the world to access affordable cures and reclaim a significantly improved quality of life.